banner ad

Feeling The Pain From Winter Roads?

| December 5, 2013 | Reply


The Winter Wonderland that comes with living in Alberta also brings the winter roads.  Hopefully by now we have all dug ourselves out from the last dump of snow and can get back to the hustle and bustle that comes with the holiday season.  During the winter months the roads conditions are usually poor.  Most of us know this, it is the “other people on the road” that don’t know how to drive in winter conditions.  If you happen to be in a fender bender this winter, whether you are at fault or not, here is some information to help you with your injuries. 


If you have suffered from minor injuries (sprain/strain) you have two treatment options:

1). Opt-In the treatment protocols.

If you decide to Opt-In to the treatment protocols then you are entitled to a maximum of 21 treatment units (Physiotherapy, massage therapy, or chiropractic) that will be direct billed to your insurance company.

2). Opt-Out of the treatment protocols.  

If you Opt-Out of the treatment protocols then you will be required to pay for your treatments upfront, and submit your receipts to any insurance provider you have like Blue Cross or Sunlife.  What your private insurance provider does not cover you submit to your motor vehicle insurance provider and they will cover the rest up to a maximum of $50,000 for all reasonable medical expenses.


If you have sustained major injuries in your accident like fractures/broken bones, and/or nerve/disc injury then you do not have the same choices as above.  If you have suffered a major injury, you cannot use the government insurance program (Opt-In).  Unfortunately you have no choice by law but to access the Section B benefits of your insurance policy.  What this means is you pay for your visits and submit to your private insurance, then submit the remaining cost to your motor vehicle insurance provider.  You can claim up to $50,000 of all reasonable and necessary medical expenses.


One other thing to keep in mind is your insurance company wants to be notified of all injuries within 10 days of your accident.  You will need to fill out a form called an AB-1 and have it submitted within that time period if you want the opportunity to Opt-In to treatment protocols.   Your insurance company will also want an assessment done by your treatment provider (physical therapist, massage therapist or chiropractor) so your insurance provider will know the extent of your injuries.  Open lines of communication between yourself, your physiotherapist and your insurance company always helps to ensure your treatment goes smoothly. 

If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident and would like more information or to book an assessment call us at Capilano Rehab Centre @780-466-1104.  We would be happy to help navigate you through this process.



Capilano Rehab Centre | Physical Therapy Capilano physical therapists have provided state-of-the-art physical therapy, sports physiotherapy, back pain, WCB, accident, whiplash and injury rehab to clients in Edmonton for over 10 years.

5832 Terrace Rd Edmonton, AB. T6A 3Y8

(780) 466-1104


Category: Community, Motor Vehicle Accident, Physiotherapy, Whiplash

About the Author ()

I am Capilano Rehab Centre’s Community Care Coordinator. I have been with Capilano Rehab for 9 years primarily as a Physio Assistant, but also as a Receptionist. I have a Physical Education Degree from the University of Alberta, which I will eventually use when my two young children are grown up. In the mean time I am enjoying helping people in the Community through my role as Community Care Coordinator and bringing awareness to how a Physiotherapist can help you get back to the activities you love the most!

Leave a Reply